Tuesday 6 March 2012

Thing called service

Which are the best experiences you have had regarding service?I find it very hard to find proper service these days from basically anywhere. Wherever you go, you will not be able to find one person that is responsible for the service you get. When you find the person, usually the first reaction is that you have done something wrong and you should be the one apologizing. What happened to the “customer always being always right” mentality?

When you look for the service from the places where you spend quite a few bucks, you should be able to get some service. Then when you actually get some service you praise it and think of it as something that is out of the question on a regular basis. One of the best spots for service no doubt has been the local Vianor. Every time I go there to get a new set of tire (in Finnish: rengas) changed, I get superb service from the guys. They can even tell the time they will spend with my car with accuracy of minutes. They also have everything a man needs: magazines, coffee and a place to sit.

Other place that gets points for its service is a department store in the city center. There I’m always happy to pay a little extra for the service they provide. I can always rely on the fact that if the product is bad or does not meet the standards, I can return it without any further questions being asked. They also have a good loyalty program.

So, changing tire and doing grocery shopping are the corner stones for my search for service. Other places that I have tried have been taxi services, banks, restaurants etc. They all seem to have such a twisted image of service. I agree that everyone should be treated as equal but if you are working and your work is to serve people I would think that leaves no doubt to the matter. We should start bringing the old service culture back a bit by bit. It comes by demanding more from the businesses and putting your money into where the best service is.

No comments:

Post a Comment