Wednesday 29 February 2012

I have heard many things in my life but…

Every time I hear people rationalizing their need for bigger car, I just find it too amusing to listen to these people telling themselves and most likely their wives about the seriousness of their need for a new car. There is nothing wrong about this but as it is cheating yourself, it does seem a bit ridiculous.


The stories I have heard range from a one piece of nasty rock that can be found on the cottage driveway to some other ridiculous reasons. The rock itself could be removed with the manpower of two but why bother when you can spend 50 000 euros extra for an SUV so that you don’t have to worry about it anymore. Other stories include things like getting a boat for managing a fleet of dogs. What is funny though is that they always seem to make sense. Whenever I hear someone lying to himself about the need for a bigger and better car, I go and browse the internet for one. Then I start the same drill. First, I tell myself many times how cool would a big fat car be like, then I decide to take it a bit further and say it out loud. Then it sounds a bit corny so I start to flavor it a bit and by flavoring I mean these stories about the rocks on the road etc.


When I’m done with all this, I usually go to sleep. If I haven’t figured out to out rule my mind while I was asleep, I always look out and see my pretty small car in the yard and remind myself: I just bought new set of summer tires (in Finnish: renkaat), so why change the car. The tires are actually a funny thing; I see my car’s value in its tires. I bought a new set of Nokia summer tires a month ago and I feel like the car looks almost like new even though it is actually almost ten years old. I can’t really tell whether it’s only in my eyes or if other people can see it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment